David E. Koropp
Dave Koropp is a partner in the Litigation Group. As a first-chair trial and appellate attorney, Dave has represented clients of all sizes, including some of the most recognized companies and financial institutions in the world in the commercial, real estate, class action, patent, antitrust, healthcare, product liability and securities areas. Dave has tried cases to verdict, and argued appeals, in venues throughout the country.
Dave knows what is important to in-house counsel and business owners, providing them with practical, business-oriented advice on litigation risk assessment, settlement strategies, and corporate compliance issues. For six months in 2017, Dave served as the Interim General Counsel at one of his clients, an international software and technology company with over 8000 employees in 200 offices across 54 countries.
Clients in a wide-variety of industries rely on Dave’s litigation acumen, trial skills and practical approach to dispute resolution to obtain consistently outstanding results, on time and on budget. Dave also provides regular, day-to-day legal advice on corporate compliance issues in the antitrust, FCPA and data privacy areas.
Dave’s commercial litigation trial experience includes failed business mergers, supply contract breaches, and disputes over indemnity obligations. His manufacturing clients have included leading producers of plumbing parts, automobile navigation systems, medical devices, diet plans and home heating equipment.
In the real estate area, prominent land owners, developers and financial institutions count on Dave to devise inventive ways of meeting aggressive budget caps, to develop winning defense strategies, to negotiate highly favorable settlements and when necessary to successfully try their cases to verdict. Dave has tried cases involving commercial leases, real estate development agreements, and brokerage contracts.
Dave also litigates patent cases involving a wide array of products and industries, including digital mapping, navigation applications for computers and mobile devices, location-based services, automotive traffic monitoring and consumer applications, computer software, and pharmaceuticals.
In the antitrust area, Dave has defended clients in a variety of industries against claims of patent tying, exclusive dealing, and illegal price fixing under the Sherman and Clayton Acts.
Dave also has represented some of the most well-known financial institutions in the world in securities litigation matters involving mergers, acquisitions, initial public offerings, asset purchase transactions, and complex financing transactions.
In the intellectual property area, Dave’s clients have ranged from Fortune 100 corporations to small, start-up companies accused of trademark misuse, copyright infringement, and false advertising involving a diverse array of products including soft drinks, diet plans, batteries, and internet search services.
Dave also has substantial experience defending nationwide consumer class actions involving allegations of defective consumer products, fraudulent conduct, unfair and deceptive marketing tactics, and improper contract/warranty provisions on behalf of financial institutions, telecommunication companies, home healthcare providers, and medical device manufacturers.
- Defended one of the country’s largest financial institutions in a multi-week breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty arbitration.
- Represented prominent home improvement company in indemnity trial arising out of a sale of one of the company’s major divisions.
- Represented small, privately held manufacturer in breach of contract arbitration arising out of sale of business to a much larger company.
- Represented the manager of an internationally renowned singer/songwriter in a trial before the California Labor Commission arising out of client’s alleged violations of the California Talent Agencies Act.
- Represented a major healthcare provider in responding to massive government fraud and abuse investigation and led attorney teams defending this same client against years of ensuing civil litigation including class actions, qui tam, and securities cases.
- Over a decade of experience defending a leading navigation mapping and device company in patent cases involving in-car navigation systems, location-based technologies, traffic detection and analysis systems, and computer software.
- Led winning litigation teams in multiple pharmaceutical patent cases, including successfully thwarting attempts to block launches of generic versions of Ultracet, Gabapentin and Ethyol.
Real Estate Representations
- Represented major Southern California developer in multi-week arbitration arising out of failed development project.
- Successfully defended local real estate developer in trial arising out of dispute over a broker’s commission.
- Represented landowners in foreclosure actions
- Lead counsel in antitrust case seeking hundreds of millions in damages for alleged exclusive-dealing and patent tying that ultimately settled on the eve of trial for mere nuisance value.
- Co-lead counsel in antitrust action representing two of the largest manufacturers of aluminum products in the United States against three of the most well-known names in the banking industry.
Class Actions Representations
- Lead counsel for medical device manufacturer in consumer class action involving defective catheters.
- Defended leading telecommunications provider in nationwide class action over early-termination fees.
- Represented mutual fund companies in multiple nationwide class actions involving allegations of deceptive marketing, improper trading, and incorrect valuations.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2023-present
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2018, 2022-present
- Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, Defender of Innocence Award, 2013
- National Innocence Project, Exceptional Service Award, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Federal Bar Association, Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service Award, 2003
- Interim General Counsel of HERE International B.V., May – November 2017
- Leadership Greater Chicago, Fellow
- The Innocence Project, Lawyer’s Advisory Committee Member
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, Center on Wrongful Convictions, Advisory Board Member
- American Cancer Society, Illinois Division, Leadership Counsel
- Greater Chicago Food Depository, Lawyer’s Committee “Lunch to End Hunger” Initiative
- Gary Comer College Prep
- Loyola University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Legal Writing, Appellate Advocacy
- Lead counsel in four cases where convictions of men having served decades in prison and facing decades more, including one on death row, were overturned based on actual innocence.
- Represented a former police officer imprisoned for more than nine years for a kidnapping and rape he did not commit and convinced a federal court to overturn his conviction and grant him a new trial based on the incompetence of his prior counsel; then retried the case in a two-week-long jury trial, which resulted in an acquittal on all charges.
- Numerous criminal jury trials representing indigent clients pro bono.
- Participated in an unprecedented collaboration between the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI, the Innocence Project and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers aimed at identifying and remedying wrongful convictions based on flawed forensic work performed by the FBI Crime Lab in the areas of hair microscopy and composite bullet lead analysis.
- Managed the work of scores of attorneys and paralegals in creating The Innocence Record
website, a collection and collation of all available public documents concerning the hundreds of
individuals who have been wrongfully convicted and later exonerated through DNA evidence.