Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude, Law Journal)
University of Notre Dame, B.A.
Kelly Smith Haley is a partner in the Firm’s Employment Law Group. She regularly practices in federal and state courts, as well as administrative agencies. Kelly handles a broad range of employment disputes, including cases involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of non-competition agreements and other contracts. She also advises and provides preventive counseling to employers on issues affecting the employment relationship, including EEO issues, covenants against competition, wage and hour issues, employee handbooks and personnel policies, issues arising from the use of technology in the workplace, hiring and background checks, and strategies for employee discipline and termination. Kelly has extensive experience in representing clients in real estate disputes involving commercial foreclosures, landlord-tenant disputes and receiverships.
Kelly is co-editor of the Illinois Employment Law Letter, a monthly newsletter written to help Illinois employers stay current on state and federal employment law developments.
Kelly is a former member of the Alumni Board of Governors for Loyola University Chicago School of Law and a Board Member for the Chicago Foundation for Women.
Kelly received her B.A. in English from the University of Notre Dame. She received her J.D., magna cum laude, from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where she was a member of the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal. Prior to joining Fox Swibel, she was an associate in the Chicago and Washington D.C. offices of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.
- Don’t panic—we’ve got you ‘covered’ on new state and municipal laws October 31, 2017
- First things first: Court outlines test for ADA interference claims October 31, 2017
- Maintenance worker’s retaliation claim passes second inspection October 1, 2017
- Appellate court throws gasoline on Chicago firefighter’s Title VII claim< September 30, 2017
- ADA: Injured worker commits error en route to shutout in 7th Circuit – August 10, 2016
- Illinois court dumps nursing mother’s breastfeeding claims – June 15, 2016
- FMLA: Court sees through Illinois Costco manager’s retaliation claim – May 19, 2016
- Employment Law Alert: Defend Trade Secrets Act—Notice Anything New? – May 11, 2016
- Illinois Court allows ink to dry on police department’s tattoo policy – February 09, 2016
- Illinois Court refuses to make temp’s civil rights claims permanent – January 6, 2016
- Illinois professor gives reverse discrimination claim the old college try – November 18, 2015
- 7th Circuit lacks conviction for police officer’s ADA claim – October 14, 2015
- Illinois employers can’t ‘bank’ on unlimited authority to deny discretionary bonuses – September 02, 2015
- Illinois court allows company to enforce employment contracts – August 12, 2015
- Illinois teacher’s night of drinking did not violate school board’s alcohol policy – June 10, 2015
- Illinois court flushes employee’s whistleblowing claim down the drain – April 29, 2015
- Termination based on refusal to self-incriminate not retaliatory – April 27, 2015
- Design firm’s DIY social media approach not ‘liked’ – September 15, 2014