- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D.
(magna cum laude)
- University of Michigan, M.S.E.
- University of Michigan, B.S.E.
(magna cum laude)
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Steven J. Reynolds is a partner in the Litigation and Intellectual Property Groups. A trial attorney with significant courtroom experience, Steve develops strategic approaches to high stakes litigation.
Steve also helps clients protect their intellectual property. He counsels clients on new product development and clearance, intellectual property portfolio analysis, due diligence supporting mergers and acquisitions, and data privacy and advertising law.
Technical Experience: Steve’s technical experience includes software, automotive device, integrated circuit and signal processing, navigation and global positioning, mobile and wireless communications, networking, power electronics, recycling and sustainability, medical device and other chemical, mechanical, electrical and computer technology.
Trials and Appeals: Steve has achieved success for clients, often at the summary judgment stage or before, in the following trial courts: Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois; Eastern and Western Districts of Texas; Central District of California; Southern District of New York; Western District of Wisconsin; District of Connecticut; Northern District of Georgia and District of Delaware; and International Trade Commission.
Steve has litigated successful appeals before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He also has litigated before the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board from filing through final written decision.
- Represented large automotive manufacturer, microchip manufacturers, and tier-1 automotive suppliers against competitor before ITC in patent infringement case involving GPS technology, resulting in complete victory for clients.
- Represented automotive manufacturers and suppliers in patent infringement case involving infotainment systems and user interaction with same.
- Represented large cell phone manufacturer in patent infringement case involving Android operating system software and user feedback devices.
- Represented two automotive manufacturers in patent infringement cases involving hybrid engine technology, radar systems, occupant sensor systems, and remote keyless entry systems, each resulting in summary judgment of invalidity and non-infringement.
- Represented large automotive manufacturer in patent infringement case involving electrically coded anti- theft systems, resulting in dismissal of case prior to close of discovery.
- Represented automotive manufacturers in various patent infringement cases involving navigation, satellite communication, and diagnostic monitoring technologies, each resulting in successful resolution prior to close of discovery.
- Represented large industrial client in competitor patent infringement cases involving sophisticated analog and digital signal processing technologies and source code, each resulting in successful resolution prior to trial.
- Represented another large industrial client in competitor patent infringement case involving circuit design and power supply systems, resulting in successful resolution prior to trial.
- Represented multiple large hotel chains in patent infringement cases involving wireless networks and mobile interface technology, each resulting in successful resolution prior to the close of discovery.
- Represented mobile phone manufacturer in case involving mobile network, MMS, and SMS technologies, leading to summary judgment of non-infringement before discovery began and ultimately an award of attorney fees in client’s favor.
- Represented multiple large retailers in patent infringement case involving internet payment technology, resulting in successful resolution, including invalidation of patents, prior to close of discovery.
- Represented large industrial client in patent infringement case involving chemical additives in plastics, resulting in invalidation of asserted patents.
- Represented start-up client in patent infringement case involving social networking technology, resulting in successful resolution early in discovery.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in patent infringement case involving biopsy technology, resulting in summary judgment of non-infringement, affirmance on appeal, and denial of opposing party’s petition for writ of certiorari.
- Successfully negotiated settlements in multiple small-to-medium patent infringement cases.
Actions Before U.S. Patent Office
- Represented automotive manufacturers in three successful inter partes review actions before the United States Patent Office in cases involving adaptive cruise control, electrically coded anti-theft systems, and hybrid power circuit technologies, resulting in final judgment of invalidity (in one) and successful resolutions after dismissal of associated district court cases (in the others).
- Represented large industrial client defend five patents in inter partes
- Represented large retailers in pre-litigation matters to assess exposure and counsel on negotiation strategy, resulting in successful avoidance of litigation.
Strategy and Clearance
- Represented large retailer in developing strategy for developing products and in connection with global freedom-to-operate clearance.
- Represented retailer in developing strategy for securing patent protection for new products.
- Represented large licensing organization in multiple copyright infringement actions, each resulting in successful resolution—one through trial and post-trial proceedings and one at summary judgment stage.
- Lead attorney on acquisition and sublicensing of 100-plus copyright licenses to support new product development.
- Represented client as lead counsel in habeas corpus case through Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and in petition for writ of certiorari to U.S. Supreme Court, including drafting all briefs and motions, taking oral and written discovery, and conducting oral argument.
- Represented client in appeal of criminal conviction to Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in case involving Fourth Amendment issues.
Other Commercial Cases
- Managed discovery and summary judgment briefing in insurance coverage cases.
- Obtained summary judgment and substantial award in client’s favor in fraud case.
Steve has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2023 in the fields of Litigation – Intellectual Property and Litigation – Patent.
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago