- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D.
(summa cum laude)
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A.
(magna cum laude)
State of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Matt Connelly is an associate in the Firm’s Litigation Group. Matt has extensive experience litigating a wide range of commercial disputes involving diverse subject matters such as antitrust law, federal RICO claims, securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, insurance and reinsurance disputes, common law fraud, negligence, constitutional claims, and commercial lease disputes. Matt has practiced before state and federal courts across the country, as well as before private arbitration panels.
Prior to joining the Firm, Matt was an associate at Freeborn & Peters LLP where he specialized in complex commercial litigation. In addition, Matt served as a law clerk for the Honorable William J. Bauer of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit in which the plaintiff alleged claims under the federal RICO statute after a real estate development project between the parties did not materialize.
- Defended client and prevailed on all claims following an arbitration hearing for breach of contract where petitioner sought over $1 billion in damages.
- Defended client and reached a favorable settlement following the first day of trial in a lawsuit involving claims for breach of a commercial lease where plaintiff sought over $25 million in damages.
- Represented client in breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit against managers of an LLC in a five-day arbitration hearing that ultimately resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented client in an administrative appeal of the City of Chicago’s denial of an operating permit after the client made an $80 million dollar investment in its new facility in the City.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against our client in one of the largest antitrust lawsuits ever filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented client in securities fraud case after client realized its investment in a new startup company was actually a Ponzi scheme. The lawsuit ultimately ended in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Prevailed in a bench trial for breach of an employment agreement on behalf of our client after successfully appealing and reversing the trial court’s original order granting the opposing party’s motion for summary judgment.
- Defended client and reached a favorable settlement in an insurance coverage dispute involving coal ash plants in which the insured sought hundreds of millions of dollars from its insurers due to environmental remediation costs imposed against it by the state.
- Represented client in litigating a breach of contract lawsuit arising from the defendant’s breach of the non-compete provisions within the parties’ contract, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Represented a pro bono client in pursuing a civil rights lawsuit arising from an incident that occurred in the Cook County Jail, which resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended corporation and reached favorable settlement in a complex negligence lawsuit in which the plaintiffs sought over $20 million in damages.
Since 2022, Matthew has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch© in the field of Commercial Litigation.
- Rejecting Federal Preference: Why Courts Should Not Exempt Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Properties from Cities’ Vacant Property Registration Ordinances, 49 Wash. U. J.L. & Pol’y 181 (2016).
- Author, “Illinois Supreme Court Holds Insurance Company Owed Duty to Defend Insured against Class-Action Lawsuit alleging Violations of the Biometric Information Privacy Act,” Powerhouse Points – A Quarterly Litigation Update, Summer 2021.
- Author, “NLRB Upholds Companies’ Social Media Policies Restricting What Their Employees Can Post On Social Media About The Company,” Powerhouse Points – A Quarterly Litigation Update, Fall 2020.
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee.
- CARPLS, Associate Board.