The University of Chicago Law School, J.D. (with honors)
Georgetown University, B.S.F.S.
(magna cum laude)
Tracy Katz Muhl is counsel to the Firm. She practices in the areas of litigation and intellectual property. On the litigation side, she represents clients in a broad range of commercial cases, including contract disputes, real estate disputes, consumer fraud claims, Uniform Commercial Code cases, trust issues, landlord-tenant matters, shareholder claims and intellectual property infringement claims.
On the intellectual property side, Tracy assists clients in the development and screening of trademarks. In this regard, she applies for and registers federal trademarks, service marks, and copyrights with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and United States Copyright Office. This includes, responding to substantive trademark office actions, and engages in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also assists clients with the assertion and defense of their rights in both registered and common law trademarks and service marks, through negotiations, cease and desist letters, and legal proceedings.
Tracy has been selected to the Illinois Women’s Institute for Leadership, Class of 2017. Tracy is also a member of the Board of Education of Northbrook School District 28.
Tracy received her B.S.F.S., magna cum laude, in foreign service from Georgetown University, where she competed on the mock trial team and sang in the concert choir. She received her J.D., with honors, from The University of Chicago Law School, where she litigated for the Mental Health Project of the Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, coached the undergraduate mock trial team, and sang a capella with the Scales of Justice. Tracy also completed coursework in non-profit management at The University of Chicago Graham School. Prior to joining Fox Swibel, she practiced law at Goldberg Kohn, LLP, and she also served as Associate Director of Development for The University of Chicago Law School.
- Cruz-Nunez v. Kimco Corp., 2008 WL 5142398, No. 08 C 3841 (N.D. Ill. Dec. 5, 2008);
- Jones Day v. Blockshopper, LLC, 2008 WL 4925644, No. 08 CV 4572 (N.D. Ill. Nov. 13, 2008)(novel trademark and Internet issues received media coverage);
- New Freedom Mortgage Corp. v. C&R Mortgage Corp., 2004 WL 783206, No. 03 CV 3027 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 15, 2004);
- Continental Insurance Co. v. Chase Manhattan Mortgage Corp., 59 Fed. Appx. 830, 2003 WL 463466, No. 01-3817 (7th Cir. Feb. 21, 2003); and
- People v. Grant, 295 Ill. App. 3d 750, 692 N.E.2d 1295 (1st Dist. 1998).